We had approximately 15 people at our meeting Wednesday night so that was fantastic. We had some brand new members and some of our newer members. I hope many of you long time members can make it to the November planning meeting to meet the new people. I think it is great that we have some new people who will come in with fresh ideas.
Welcome back Kelly, Juli and Donna. Donna brought a friend, Susan and welcome to Kristen for the first time. We had a guest, Lisa, from the Maple Grove art center.
These are the items that we discussed:
1) Next Featured Artist- Lisa needs pictures and brief info on artists approach or a bio .I believe right now she has only one artist with pictures and a bio. We would like to have a new artist every month.
I have also asked that Rachel (who received first place at the Creative category at the fair) and Mimi who received a second place to get pictures to Lisa for our Blog. Rachel actually won for a wall piece and a guitar and won the top prize for the glass category. Congratulations!
If anyone who had a piece in the Bridging event could get pictures to Lisa it would be nice to feature those pieces on the blog too.
2) Phipps Art Center- Waiting to hear on our submission. I have not heard back but I believe that we would hear in October if we have been selected for a show in 2017. I will keep you posted.
3) Ideas for a place to show mosaics in 2016- Please everyone think of places that we could have a show in 2016. We need to think beyond art centers. Any ideas are welcome.
4) Nov. planning meeting- will be at Laura Lee’s house. I will send out more info closer to the date, Nov. 11th. It is such an important meeting. Please try and come with some fun ideas for meetings and challenges for next year.
5) Dec. pot luck- Will be at Suzanne Demeules home in Golden Valley. As we have done the past two years we will all make an item (this year will have a snowflake theme) and then guess which artist made each item. Whoever guesses the most correct will get a gift certificate. This could be a picture of a mosaic snowflake, or on a candle holder, an ornament, etc.
6) Sept. Challenge- Hot colored mosaics- Several people brought an 8”x 8” or 16” sq. mosaic in warm colors. We have a great start for a grouping of mosaics that represent all of our members. We just need a show now to display them.
Anyone who is still working on this challenge please bring it to show us at the November meeting. We were all inspired by the beautiful pieces that were created and shown.
I have been asked about the opportunity to do a mural for Ridgeview Hospital. I sent an email to the designer and they have decided to go another direction but will keep us in mind for other opportunities.
I think that covers what we discussed .It was a really good meeting.