Mosaic Group November 2017- Planning meeting notes for 2018
Thank you Janine for hosting our planning meeting and thank you to all members who came and shared some really good ideas for 2018.
The following notes are what was discussed and decided upon for this year’s pot luck and our meetings in 2018.
Laura Lee will be our new featured artist on the blog. We want to select a new artist at each meeting so that we can keep that section fresh on the blog.
We need to add some new mosaic photos from all artists for the Blog and future show submissions. Maria was kind enough to take pictures at the show and she will feature them on the blog. We would like to use some of them for show submissions. I need to assume that we can use any of the photos from the show, but if you do not want us to use any of your mosaics on a submission (or on the blog) please let me know as soon as you can. Artists who were not in the show can send Maria photos of mosaics that you would like added to the scrolling pictures on the Blog.
Natalie McGuire also took photos and she hopes to have them on Facebook this week end.
I have an email with pictures to forward to the group. A professional photographer was at the Phipps and took pictures of all the shows. There are some nice ones of the mosaic show. We are free to use these pictures as long as we credit the photographer whenever we use one of the photos he took. It appears that you can order pictures from his website too.
We discussed shows in Hopkins/ Maple Grove and Minnetonka. Lisa Vitkus is getting us a date in Maple Grove for 2019. We hope to have a submission ready for Hopkins and Minnetonka soon. The goal would be to either have a second show in 2018 or 2019.
We will need to pick up mosaics from the Phipps on Dec. 4th- I would like to have the time between 10:00 and 4:30. I have Maria, Janet and Rachel and Ann as volunteers for that day. Please let me know what hours you are able to be at the Phipps. I would like to have two shifts like we had for receiving the art so that no one has to be there all day.
Ideas for the Christmas Pot Luck challenge- We decided to have people make some kind of mosaic candle holder. We will guess which artist created each piece as we have in the past. Janine will be picking up a gift card as a prize. We will have our annual tesserae exchange.
Pot Luck is at Rachel’s house- 612-834-9001. Look for her address on the membership list or call her for directions.
Rachel has invited people to stay overnight, give her a heads up if you plan to stay. Normally the hostess provides a main part of the pot luck meal and everyone else brings a salad, a side or dessert. Rachel will get an email out with a signup sheet.
Our next scheduled show at this time is at Edina Art Center. The show runs June Seventh to the twenty-ninth (window space available at this location).
State Fair submissions – We discussed having more mosaic artists submitting a photo for the Fine arts Show. We think that there would be more mosaics in the show if there were more people submitting. Think about it.
Membership List- We have a few updates that need to be made. I will get the information that I have to Susan. You might want to take a moment to verify your information. When we have meetings I hope that you will refer to this list. I do not want to put addresses on the blog.
Our meetings for next year are as follows”
Feb. - We have a new member starting next year, Julie Burkhart. She creates fine custom jewelry and Micro Mosaic Jewelry. She has offered to hold the February meeting at her studio. I will list her address because she is not on the membership list yet. The studio is in the Solar Arts Bldg. at 711 15th Ave. NE #202, Mpls. 55413.
The challenge if you choose to participate is to do an 8”x 8” mosaic in black and white with one minor accent color. These might work well in a grouping at a show. Bring to this meeting to share.
April- At Laura Lee’s home. Kristin is going to purchase colorful pendent pieces that we can use as part of a mosaic. The mosaic should be 8x8 or 16x16. We would like to have these done by the April meeting. We can possibly group these at the Edina show. The Guild will purchase the pendent pieces but we will need to know how many people want to do this challenge so Kristin can order enough. I believe that Lisa Ferguson will send out a survey to get that information along with how many people want to be a part of a collaboration like the Starry Night piece that some of us participated in this year.
Kristin if it is possible for you to send the group pictures of the pendants it would help people decide if they want to do this challenge.
Also at this meeting Amy will bring National Geographic magazines. Each person will take one and the challenge is to make a paper mosaic (any size ) out of the pages from that one magazine. We will bring them to the June meeting to share.
Sept.- At Lisa Ferguson’s home. Over the summer the challenge is to make a Cultural themed piece and bring it to this meeting. It can be any culture and any size. At this meeting we would like to have an idea exchange. We all have found good resources and maybe some short cuts when cutting glass, or unique materials etc. that we could share with each other. If anyone has any techniques that they would like to demonstrate please let us know.
Nov. – This meeting is at Shelly Beaumont’s home. It will be our planning meeting. Come with great ideas.
Dec. Pot Luck- will be at my home. We will have a challenge but it has not been decided yet.
We want anyone with an idea for the collaborative mosaic to send a picture to Lisa Ferguson. She will send out a survey with the pictures. We will have members vote. It was decided that it will be a mosaic piece again. There was a thought that if it could find a home at a library, restaurant etc. that would be a great way to reuse it after it is hung in a show or two. You can be thinking about that.
Lisa’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please add anything that I may have missed that the group needs to know or think about. I love the challenges for this year.
Those who have volunteered to be at the Phipps please confirm with me on when you can be there.