One new member attended, Marla Riemer. She is a friend of Rachel Arntson. Welcome to our group. We love new members.
Julie Burkhart hosted our meeting and provided us with great food in a wonderful space. Julie has already hosted a few mosaic artists at her studio and is hoping to have the entire group in the future. Thank you so much for the hospitality Julie.
Update on shows that we have made submissions to- Minnetonka and Hopkins. Maria has sent in the submissions but we have not heard back on either of these possible shows. is following up on the Minnetonka submission and I will follow up on Hopkins. Two additional ideas were brought up. Lanesboro gallery (?) and the Marine Museum in Winona. If anyone can look into either of those venues that would be appreciated. I am not familiar with either one.
Edina (EAC) show- Important dates:
Photos to EAC by May 1, 2018 for press release, submit completed release forms (bring in to EAC) by May 30 or 31, 2018. Reception 5:00 to 8:00 on Thursday June 7, 2018. One option on photos is if Maria could send pictures from the Phipps show. Another option is for individuals to send pictures to Edina Art Center to use for advertising the show. Members please give me some feedback on this. I hesitate to send any pictures that have not been approved by any artist, but when we have asked individuals to send in pictures we have had a limited response.
Commission is 40% to EAC and 60% to artist. 15% referral fee on any commissions.
We pay $250 as a group and participants pay $5 each to show their mosaic(s).
EAC provides coffee, tea, lemon infused water, cups, plates etc. for 100 people and a veggie tray for about 50 people. Guild to provide additional food. We usually spend approximately $100. Wine is not allowed.
Artwork is insured on site.
EAC will help with organizing the show but we need to provide volunteers.
We need to have mosaics brought in May 30th or 31st from 9:00 to 7:00 pm. We should have a Guild member there to receive mosaics so we should condense that time frame and have a few people cover a couple of hours each. We will have from 9:00 to 7:00 to hang art on June 4 and 5 from 9:00 to 7:00. We need volunteers for this too. I am looking for people with some muscle because we are nailing in to carpet covered plywood.
EAC will design 250 postcard invitations and provide exhibit labels.
All work must be for sale. I am inquiring if we can also have an electronic post card provided to us.
I will forward the contract to all members to review. Also I will send you the form that needs to be filled out for entry. Please give me any feedback on the contract. If there is anything that needs to be added or changed I need to know what it is so I can bring it up to the show coordinator.
FYI-There will also be a silk artist that has their work in the tea room. There will be window space available in the main gallery and I have asked for window space in the tea room area.
Maple Grove Show:
Opening October 18th to November 16th, 2018.
Sunday Nov. 4th from 2:30pm-4pm Reception
I will send this contract to you. Please comment on any concerns.
Details on commission split will be in the contract.
Maple Grove does not charge sales tax on sales made - artists are responsible for paying that over themselves.
Maple Grove to provide light appetizers, coffee and soft drinks for the opening and host a food only reception, there will be no wine or alcohol available.
All items should be for sale.
Collaborative piece will be Monet's “Water Lillie’s”. We have 14 people who have signed up. I believe Lisa Ferguson has the list and she will send it out to verify who wants to make a square.
Shelly Beaumont has volunteered to head this project up. Thank you Shelly.
Hopefully we can be ready to move forward on this by the April meeting and the piece can be shown at the Maple Grove show. Please confirm if you still want to make a mosaic square directly with Shelly.
We had several people that brought their challenge piece of an 8” x 8” black and white mosaic (with a small area of color). We had a wonderful range of ideas and we can hang them together at the Edina show. It is not too late to make one. Great job by everyone.
Kristin had the pendant pieces for the April challenge. If you did not pick up a pendant and want to be part of this challenge please contact Kristin.
Amy will be bringing National Geographic magazines to the April meeting at Laura Lee’s home. Our challenge to complete by the June meeting is a paper mosaic. More info will follow.
Thank you all for a great meeting and especially thank you to Julie for hosting.